So
much of the Bible is weird to me; talking donkeys, people cutting off ears, people
dropping dead, people being turned to pillars of salt. Half the stuff, I’m looking in the notes
trying to figure what the heck that was I just read. “Life Application” my butt. If anybody comes looking to cut off my ear, I’m
running.
But I
had another a-ha moment the other day where I finally understood something. We
were reading the Jesus Storybook to the kids; we do that every night, and woe be unto you if you are tired and want to skip it. This
story happened to be about Rachel and Leah. It's in Genesis 29 and it
talks about Jacob, who goes to work for his Uncle Laban. Jacob works for Laban, and in return, Laban
asks him what he wants for wages; he wants to marry Rachel because she's just
so beautiful, he can’t stand it. "20 So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel,
but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her." Men are like that. Wave some booty and they fall apart. Ask me how I know.
So Laban
says “Work for me for seven years and you can marry Rachel.” Jacob
does that, he works for seven years, and on his wedding night Laban sends Leah
to his tent, not Rachel. Now I guess
it's pitch black dark in there, I don't know, and nobody talks (which I find
hard to believe), but somehow he doesn't realize that it's Leah that he got,
not until the early morning, after they've already done the nasty. And then Jacob goes to Laban all worked up,
saying, “I served you for Rachel! What
the heck?” (This is kind of like the
Message. “Dude, what up, you jerk!”)
Laban
says, “We don’t give the younger daughter away first. Work for me another seven years and I'll give
you Rachel.” No explanation for why he
couldn't have said that up front, why he sneaked Leah in there. No Steve Urkel, “Did I do
thaaaat?” Seven MORE years until Jacob
gets Rachel, like Laban couldn’t have ever MENTIONED the fact that the oldest
goes first? For Pete’s sake, I’d have
given you an extra cow if I’d known that, you know?
The
Bible says that God saw that Leah was not loved. Now it doesn't say what's
wrong with Leah, other than she has “weak eyes,” it just says that she wasn't
loved. And we already know that Jacob
didn't want her. I don't know if she had horns or was just butt-ugly or had some
giant disfigurement or what her major malfunction was. Apparently the main issue was that she wasn’t
Rachel. I try to imagine what she must have
felt like; not being loved or wanted, married to her cousin (ew). I don't think I'd have a happy life if I married somebody who straight up said he didn't want me. But
the thing that I'm struck by is that through Judah, Leah’s son, came the line
that would give us Jesus Christ. How
crazy is that.
I’ve
heard that when we suffer or when bad things happen that we can't see the big
picture; that only God can knows the purpose of our suffering. Sometimes bad things or disappointing
things happen in your life and you’re crushed, and maybe later you see
how that worked out for good, days or years or whatever. Example. When we were just moving back to Jax, Dallas was promised a job. Then
suddenly they decided to offer that job to someone who had less experience but
also was cheaper. At the time, and for a few months later, he was devastated
because he was counting on that job and he was really looking forward to
working there. But out of that
disappointment came the job he has now, which he absolutely loves. And through
which we've been blessed to meet some very special people. Later he was fine with not getting that job, because he enjoys what he's doing so much; God had something better.
But Jesus
came through the line of Judah, and obviously Leah had no idea about that, that was WAY down the line. She spent her entire life knowing she wasn't
loved, with her weak little eyes and her horns and whatever. The most awesome thing that came
out of her life, and she never saw it! She
never had a clue, she’s just living her unlovable life, popping out a bunch of children and selling herself for mandrakes. It's
just one more reminder that even though I don't always see it and I can't
understand it, I have hope that there's a larger purpose at work. Ya just never know.
Minor epiphany aside, I'd like to leave you with a conversation between my three
children. Yes I said three. Eli is half
mine, just like mine are half Sandy and Ron’s.
Eli came to spend the night the other night and on the way home they
were all just being crazy, so I told them they should play the alphabet game. We do this a lot in the car, mostly just to
keep the kids occupied in the car so they don't drive me crazy, and here's how
it goes. For each letter of the alphabet, you have to think of an animal
you're going to ride on, a place you're going to go, and something you're going
to buy when you get there. This is the conversation.
Carter: I'm going to ride
a...
Eli: Goat!
C: No, hush, I’m
thinking.
Lots of giggling.
C: I'm going to ride a…
E: GOAT!
C: No, I don’t want a goat, I’m going to ride a….
E: GOAT!
Hilarity ensues.
C: Hush, Eli, I’m going to ride a gorilla. And I’m going to go to…
E: Georgia.
C: Not Georgia.
G…g….g….guh guh…guh…
E: GEORGIA!
C: NO!
E: GEORGIA!
C: FINE!
I’m going to Georgia. Mama,
Georgia is G, right?
Me: Yes, you can go to Georgia.
Me: Yes, you can go to Georgia.
C: Eli won’t hush. Eli, hush.
*sigh* I’m riding a gorilla and I’m
going to Georgia and I’m going to buy a….
Sarah
Cate: A GOAT!!
Extemporaneous jocularity
commences.
No comments:
Post a Comment