So I’m back. I know,
you’re like, what, I don’t hear from you for months and now you’re going on a
tear? I can’t help it, people. When I gots to get it out, I gots to get it
OUT.
Some people tell me I don’t talk very much; others tell me
I’m a chatty cathy. I think it depends
on what I’m railing on about, frankly. I have
got LOTS to say about Jenny right now, for instance, because she is a total
jerk. (Jenny is the dog, not a
person. This may color your perspective
of the following description.) While
she’s earning points in the cuddle department by wanting to be beside me
constantly, she’s also tanking most righteously in the chewing arena. Oh. My. Gosh.
She will pick up anything just to feel it in her mouth. It can be a stick, a toy, a leaf, a wad of
paper, a shoe, a pencil, a dryer sheet… she doesn’t care. She is equal opportunity and she will pick up
ANYTHING. It’s like living with a
toddler again. “How in the world did you
get that?” “What does that go to?” “Drop it!”
“Ewwwww.” “Oh my gosh could you
just STOP?!” She doesn’t intentionally
destroy things, she just wants to chew on something – but God forbid we chew on
the rawhide PURCHASED AND MADE SPECIFICALLY for this purpose, these chewies
that are covered in chicken-flavored-dog-crack or whatever the People At The
Store said she would love. No. She does not want THAT, that
foul-smelling, moist and sticky abomination I just stepped on that was
slathered in a glorious mixture of pretend chicken-flavor and dog spit. No.
She wants whatever she just saw out of the corner of her eye as she came
careening around the corner at lightning speed, right before she crashed into
the wall. It’s a shoe, or a sock, or a
book, or some other useful item – but good grief, it’s not the dog treat
SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO HER. Lord save me
from the puppy energy, because this girl’s got it. Bless her heart, she’s a doll, but I cannot
WAIT till the chewy thing is over.
I got distracted.
See? I can talk. I could tell you all about this little bundle
of energy who is sleeping so soundly beside me right now, recharging her
puppy-batteries and getting all stocked up for another day of playing
Let’s-See-What-I-Can-Drag-Out-of-the-Recycle-Bin-and-Chew-Into-Tiny-Bits-and-Strew-Around-the-Yard. Yes.
Or let me talk to you about the bread I made the other day. You know, the bread I made in the bread
machine with the recipe that sounded like it had a lot of yeast in it? Yeah, that one, the one that smelled heavenly
but apparently kept rising right out of the little bucket, reaching its little
doughy self right down onto the sides of the bucket and all over the inside of
the bread machine, before being baked and burned into a groping semblance of a loaf. THAT one.
But I’m not going to tell you about that. I’m going to tell you about talking.
This reminds me of Polonius in Hamlet, when he asks Hamlet
what he’s reading. “Words. Words.
Words.” A lot of words. Words can be just that, innocuous little
things when put in a story or a poem or a recipe. They serve a function by conveying meaning,
so what? Oh let me tell you, words can
be sneaky little bastards. They can be
like little irritable Chihuahuas with razor sharp teeth, ready to tear and destroy
and rip the hearer apart; or they can be soft and comforting, like laying your
head on your mom’s lap while you lie on the couch on a beautiful day when the
windows are open and the breeze is coming in.
Words can build and words can destroy in a matter of seconds. Think of it, how many times does the Bible
talk about watching your tongue? A
lot. (Here’s where being a pastor would
be helpful but I’m not one so you’re going to have to google it yourself.) All I’m saying, is that you would think that we’d
watch these little buggers closer than we do, knowing their propensity to sink
ships, destroy livelihoods, create euphoria, and everything in between.
But I’m not talking about watching what you say lest you
injure someone with your poorly chosen words.
I’m talking about really
talking with people. Investing in the
people you know and love and making an effort to communicate about feelings,
emotions, hurts, joys. We waste so many
of our words every day with mindless talking, and yet we don’t SAY the things
that truly need to be said. “How are
you?” “Fine.” Geez, how many times a day
do I say that? Not that I’m suggesting
you unleash a torrent of feelings and emotions on the cashier at the Daily’s
who just asked you that while she was ringing up your caffeine hit. “Well, I was FINE until he put dish soap in
the dishwasher last night and I woke up to a kitchen knee-deep in bubbles. But now I’m NOT fine, and now I’m gonna WHACK
him.” I’m not saying that. I’m saying, let’s think about the way we talk
to our families, our close relationships, the people who mean the
most to us. These are the very ones we hurt the most, either with the words we
speak or the words we DON’T speak, and they’re the ones who love us best! How messed up is that?! But it works that way; how many movies have
you watched where some little misunderstanding gets blown into epic
proportions, and she believed this and he thought that, because the characters
didn’t communicate? That’s pretty much
the plot line of every Fred Astaire movie, like ever. (Just so you know, and now you don’t have to
watch them.)
I’m bringing this up because I royally suck at communicating things that
make me uncomfortable, touch me deeply, embarrass me, or hurt me, or basically
involve any strong emotion. Yes; I was
born a robot. Pretty much anything meaningful
I have a hard time expressing in words, at least to your face. Dallas has gradually worn this part of me
down over the years, and I’ve gotten to the point that I’m able to talk to him
about stuff that bothers me, as well as HEAR stuff that bothers him about me
without taking his head off. The boy has
the scars to prove it, I’m sure, but he has the patience of Job. Kudos to his parents for developing this part
of him, because the good Lord knew I’d need remedial training in this area, I
guess. I’m learning to tell the other
special people in my life how much they mean to me and to take constructive
criticism – something I may actually be able to do before I die. Maybe.
You know me, and you know I’m awful at it, but I continue to pray for
divine intervention. And because I royally suck at communication, how many of you also may have this problem, and might I be your horrible warning for the day?
Do you notice how people tend to avoid the hard
conversations, the awkward confrontations, the uncomfortable topics in life? I know it’s not just me with this
problem. It can’t be. Please tell me it’s not. Believe me; I want to avoid any slimy
sentences that explain some ugly truth and I DON'T want to be the one that has to tell you your skirt's tucked up into your underwear.
But I’ve also avoided the heartfelt, the touching, and the dear
conversations that would heal and mend, if only I had the bravery to say them
out loud. What is this, that we avoid
the extremes of emotion in our daily lives?
Are we so concerned with how we’ll be perceived if we’re honest and open
with each other, that we’ll forgo being either one, in order to maintain some
imaginary vision of peace? If we just
spoke the truth in love, wouldn’t it be uncomfortable in the short term but far
better in the long term?
Here’s a prime example.
When I was about 14 or so – aaaand that tells you all you really need to
know, right? Teenage girl -- angsty,
hormonal, emo -- whatever word you have for that divine stretch of adolescence
where your ordinarily delightful child oscillates between snarky and sullen, immature
and steadfast, garrulous one minute and as lively as a glop of vanilla pudding
the next. Yes, whatever you call that
wonderful time. I’m really looking
forward to it with my own teenagers. Anyhow, when I
was that age, Mom and Dad and I spent a weekend camping. I’d asked Dad to take me fishing, and we went
out on a short boat with a couple of reels and a bucket of worms. I thought we could talk while we fished, not
like big-important-stuff-talk, but maybe quiet-tones-like-we’re-in-the-library
kind of talk. I knew you had to be quiet
when you fished, like, don’t yell and announce to the fish that WE ARE HERE TO
ABDUCT YOU but, I mean, fish don’t even have ears. Never mind the
absolute absurdity of the thought that a MAN would TALK. I didn’t even know about THAT. (Ladies, when you ask him what he’s thinking
and he says, “Nothing,” he really means that.
There are no thoughts there, just wiiiide empty space.) However, in my very teenage, very female mind,
I misunderstood Dad’s silence. I thought
he wasn’t interested in me, or I’d probably done something wrong. I thought I was ridiculous, making him come
all the way out here just to sit in a boat and watch the water, because we sure
weren’t catching any fish. Here he
probably had an entire weekend of something else he needed to do and I was
wasting his time.
Yes, that’s asinine, but I didn’t know then that you don’t
talk while you fish, and that men don’t think like women. Seriously, folks, I did not figure this out
till YEARS later. Those are two VERY
IMPORTANT points that would have made that day go a whole lot differently had I
known. But I, in my self-absorbed
teenage girliness, was CLUELESS, and I got all mad at myself and embarrassed,
and “got in a mood” and didn’t talk to him all the way back home. Which, of course, he was completely baffled
by. “What the heck, we just went
fishing. She was fine and now she’s not
fine and I have no idea what just happened.
Girls are weird. Why do I have so many of them?” But of course
it’s all about me. So I go in to the
camper with my Attitude and Mom lets me have it – I’M the one who wanted to go
fishing, remember? And now I’M the one
who’s all out of sorts about it. So now
I’m mad at her too, ‘cause she’s mad at me, and I know Dad’s totally confused
about the whole thing and is sincerely lamenting the grievous lack of Y
chromosomes in his environment right about now.
Instead of saying, “Are you upset with me? Because you’re not talking to me and I’m
confused,” I thought I knew what was going on.
It would have made me too vulnerable to be direct – because what if he
WAS upset over something I’d done? Then
I’d have to admit I was wrong and feel guilty.
Or look like a fool. Better not
to bring it up at all, so I don’t have to feel that way. Self-preservation at its finest.
And in so doing, I hurt him terribly. My self-preservation was at his expense. Then, by not discussing my feelings with Mom,
she was left to her own devices to figure out what in the world had set me off
this time. But none of us talked; she
went her way, I went mine, and Dad went his.
We all got over ourselves separately and came back together later,
forgiven and forgotten and moved on, ready to start over.
But oh, wouldn’t that have turned out differently if I’d
just said what was on my heart? Wouldn’t
that day have gone so much better if I’d just asked why he wasn’t talking to
me, and he could have just said, “Because I already used up all my words for
today?” What if I’d talked to Mom about
my insecurities and fears, instead of leaving her to fill in the blanks with
whatever might fit? What if I admitted
that I was confused, unsure, and also possibly a little mental? She could have consoled me and advised me and
helped me through my awkward weirdness.
Instead I shut her out. Granted,
this is an example from YEARS ago, before God, time, motherhood, wifelihood,
and good sense had a chance to work on me, but is this not ridiculous? Yes, it is, but how often since then have I
missed the boat on saying something that could have bridged a gap?
It took YEARS of me being a daughter, and a mother, and a
wife, before I could understand how simply being willing to bare myself to
another could be so freeing, or help them so much. How being willing to admit that you messed
up, that you DON’T have it all together, that you CAN’T do it all, that you ARE
scared – how that can be the one thing that truly allows us to know and love
one another.
It’s tough to put yourself out there, to take the risk that
you won’t be understood, might feel ridiculous, or might be wasting words on
someone who won’t listen. What if, by
speaking up, you revealed how broken you are, how messed up you are? That you don’t have it all together? Guess what, we’re all messed up. (BTW, I’m more messed up than you, as has
clearly been revealed by this blog, so take comfort in that.) So why don’t we allow each other to be
broken, if we all know we are, and just be broken together? (There’s a reason that song sounds so
good.) Let’s allow each other to see our
failures, our fears, our insecurities, our doubts, if that’s what’s going to
heal our relationships. Why are we so
afraid to hear that we’ve been wrong?
It takes courage to speak up, and it takes courage to hear. But it also takes practice. These are the people who are supposed to love
you best – why shouldn’t we give them the opportunity to do that?
It’s hard to trust that by being honest about your feelings,
that it will be well-received. What if
he won’t talk back, or she makes fun of you, or you feel like a fool? All of those are probably going to happen at
some point. But I’ve learned that when I
put myself out there, it shores up a relationship worth having and it proves
out a relationship that isn’t going to work.
If you can’t be who you are with the person who’s supposed to love you
best, what’s the point? Who are they
loving, then, if they don’t know you?
Who are you loving, if you don’t know them? If I can’t hear what I’m doing that’s
bothering them, how can I possibly fix it? Friendships that stand the test of time are
those that are based on honesty and caring, and knowing you can depend on one
another. Friendships based on
superficialities are acquaintances.
How awesome would it be if we came along side each other and
said, or heard, “I’ve been through that, and I know how awful it is.” Or “I’ve never been through that; please tell
me what I can do to help you.” If you’re
a mentor to a young person, “That happened to me when I was younger, and I felt
like this.” Yes, it makes you have to
open up, to admit that you didn’t make the best choice, or you got embarrassed,
or were hurt, and it will probably hurt again -- but how much could it help
them through what they’re facing? If
someone’s hurt you, should you not give them the opportunity to apologize and
realize what they’ve done? What if they
don’t care, or don’t respond, or hurt you again? You’ve done your best. You’ve held up your end of the
relationship. And you can decide whether
to move forward with it or let it go.
But oh, what if you wore them down, like Dallas wore me down? What if by admitting your frailties, they had
the courage to admit theirs? What if
they’re scared too? What if you learned
something that helped you understand their perspective better? But
I’ll have to admit something I don’t want to.
I’ll have to be vulnerable, and take a risk. It’ll make me look weak. OR, it could bring you closer
together. It could show you a
relationship worth saving, or one that isn’t worth your pain and suffering any
more.
But I’ve MADE the
effort, and I’m talking to a WALL! How
long am I supposed to DO this? It’s
easier if you’re a Christian, you can ask for help and it’ll come. You can pray for guidance, or wisdom, or a
change of heart. You have Someone who’s
going to guide you through this for as long as it takes. If you’re not a Christian,
well, I guess you have to figure that part out on your own and do the best you
can.
When we come to Jesus, he takes us just as we are; shouldn't we offer each other the same comfort? You don’t have to “clean up your act” so Jesus will save you, or stop
sinning so you can go to Heaven. He
already knows everything you’ve done or ever will do, and He knows exactly what
you are because He made you that way. He
KNOWS you’re messed up. He KNOWS I’m
more messed up than you are, and that she’s more messed up than me, and that
the guy over there is a straight up train wreck. He KNOWS we’re all broken, that we’re
sinners. It’s not news.
So let’s also allow each other to be broken, to have bad
days, and insecurities. Let’s care for
each other and give each other a safe place.
Well, that’s all well and good,
but I can’t be the first one. I can’t
speak up first. I can’t get through to
her. Then stick her in front of this
blog and say “read this.” Just throw it
out there and see if it gets caught.
Resolve to be the kind one in this relationship, the one who made the
effort, the one who keeps trying.
I’ve come a long way since that weekend fishing, but how
long has it taken? How many baby steps
did it take to get where I am, and how much further have I got to go? A long
long way. But Dallas is everlastingly patient with me,
and I pray for help. Thankfully I have
people in my life who are bigger than me and keep forgiving me when I’m a total
arse. I’m eternally grateful for that. If you’re not a Christian then
you kinda have to wing it, like I used to.
Knowing Jesus is infinitely better, I have to say; it just makes
everything make more sense. But even if
you’re not, don’t let that stop you from really loving the ones who know you
best and letting them love you. It’s a
risk, but it’s so worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment