Sunday, April 13, 2014

Another "Post"

I don't know what it is, but lately I keep seeing signs around town that use quotation marks in a "disturbing" manner.  Meaning they are put around random words and it makes me crazy.  Yesterday I saw a sign along the road advertising for "Great" Dane puppies.  So these are Great Dane puppies that are really awful?  Or these are puppies that look like Great Danes but really are not?  Then I saw a sign for a manicure/pedicure salon (held up by one of those very helpful people alongside the road who also spin the sign, do crazy dances, or are dressed up in some weird costume) that said "Try" Us!  UGH.  Try them or don't try them?  Go in and ACT like you're going to try them but then really don't?  There's a bank here that has one of those electronic signs that flashes an advertisement:  "Your" hometown bank!  We like to make you think it's your bank but it's really not?  We pretend to serve your banking needs but then we tell you how it really is?  Here's the best one/worst one, on the front door of a building:  "This building is "ALARMED."  Yeah, well the floor is "SLIGHTLY CONCERNED."  The bushes are "MILDLY PERTURBED."  And I am "ANNOYED" at everyone's inability to use a quotation mark.  " ".  There.  I've quoted nothing, and that makes me win.

Carter's on a soccer team again this Spring, and he loves it.  I'm kinda thrilled with it too, although his team is the Junior Tornadoes.  People, when I look at that name all I see, every single time, is the Junior Tomatoes.  I can't help it, it's what I see.  It's like when I see the Pearled Barley at Publix, and all I see is Pearl Bailey.

We had a minor misunderstanding this week... Sarah Cate turned 5, and she was under the mistaken impression that on that day she would be going to Kindergarten.  Oops.  We had to sort that one out, and she didn't cry but she did SO want to go to Carter's school.  We've discussed that she'll still get to go to Carter's school, but after Summer.  So today, she asked me if it was Summer yet...  I don't think she's quite got it down, but she's such a happy little person most of the time that she just seems to move right on along.

Today we went on a Tour de Farm, a local thing where you can tour the farms that raise your food.  The farms we toured today aren't ones that our delivery service sources from, but they're representative and we may be buying from them in the future.  See, now that I've got some experience in this whole slow food thing, I think I'd do better choosing how much of what we get (eg -- nobody in this family is going to eat beets, no matter where they come from, so there's no point in paying anyone for them).  So it was really great for me to see how these farms are producing our food -- the chickens really aren't in cages, the pigs really do snort and wiggle in the mud, and the goats really do give milk.  Yesterday we stopped by the convenience store to get me an unsweet tea (goodbye, Diet Coke, my sweet friend) and Carter wanted Doritos.  But when we looked at the ingredients and I asked him to read them, neither of us could pronounce half of what was in them.  So I asked him to look for a snack that had words he could pronounce, and he was just as happy with roasted almonds.  I'm enjoying this whole not-eating-chemical-weirdness thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment