Friday, March 7, 2014

Perseverance

A very dear friend of my sister’s is going through a difficult day today; her dad is being taken off life support after (what was supposed to be) a very routine knee surgery.   My sisters, my parents and I, we love each other with a fierce batten-down-the-hatches love.   A Southern Living/redneck we-know-we-got-issues-but-we’re-in-it-together kind of love.  A circle-the-wagons, double-pinky-promise, clove-hitch-knot kind of love.  I know not every family has this, and I know how blessed I am, and I’m beyond grateful for it.  And so when one of them hurts, as my sister is hurting today, and as her very best friend in the whole world is hurting right now, I hurt for them.  I want to shield them from pain, take it back; give them a do-over, a mulligan.  Undo this awful thing that has happened.  Go back to some crucial point where a different path could have been taken and go from there.

But I can’t, so I pray.  I pray that the One who heals, the Great Comforter, would give them peace and strength to get through this minute, and the next one, and the one after that.  Getting through, taking one step after one step after one step, that’s called perseverance.  And I thought maybe you could use some of things I’ve been learning lately about perseverance.   Or maybe you know somebody who could.

In our Bible study, Disciplines of a Godly Woman (Barbara Hughes), this week’s lesson was on perseverance.  Now I know that I’m not the world’s foremost expert on this topic.  I freely admit that while I have had my own Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, my problems are NOTHING compared to other peoples’ problems.  I’ve never struggled with addiction, I’ve never suddenly lost a life partner or a child, I’ve never been raped, hit, or even had to deal with a chronic illness.  I know those days are coming, I’m not expecting my life to be all sunshine and puppies (although that’d be nice, karma, I did just put a new roll of toilet paper up for the next person), but I’d like to hope that I’ll have the faith and assurance that God is in control of it, just like He’s in control of every good thing that comes my way.  At the end of my life, I’d love to say that I have praised Him in all things.   In Hebrews 12:1 it says “And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…”  But people, that is really hard to DO in the real world.  When it comes down to brass tacks and it’s time to get up out of bed for the first time without your husband, or it’s time to go the job you HATE, or talk to a parent who can’t remember who you are, it is really. freakin’. hard to persevere.

Hughes writes in her chapter on perseverance of a couple named Scott and Janet Willis, who in 1994 lost 6 of their 9 children in an auto accident on the way to visit one of their other children.  She writes:

While driving north on Interstate 94 in Milwaukee, the van ran over a large piece of metal that punctured the gas tank, immediately turning the vehicle into an inferno.  By the time the van stopped and the parents fell out, their children were hopelessly trapped.  Six of their children went home to be with the Lord that day.

You’d think that the Willises would conclude that their God was far away at that moment.  Yet the burned, bandaged couple, still in physical pain, gave witness to God’s grace at a news conference.  Janet relates that when she looked back toward the van and began screaming, Scott touched her shoulder.  “He said, ‘Janet, this is what we’ve been prepared for.’  And he was right.  He said, ‘Janet, it was quick, and they’re with the Lord.’  He was right.”

The Willises’ testimony amidst the tears and heartache is amazing.  “I know God has purposes and God has reasons,” says Scott.  “God has demonstrated His love to us and our family.  There’s no question in our mind that God is good, and we praise Him in all things.”

“It’s His right,” agrees Janet.  “We belong to Him.  My children belong to Him.  He’s the giver and the taker of life, and He sustains us.”

Now I don’t remember this happening.  Keep in mind that back in 1994 I was not a Christ-follower and I thought all you Christian people were just kind of doing some other “fan” thing, kind of like when the Beatles hit town.  But I read this to Dallas and he found online a clip of Scott Willis speaking about a year after the accident, about adversity in general, that we all face, not specifically about the accident although that was a large part of his talk.  (It is here if you want to listen:  http://recollections.liblog.wheaton.edu/2010/12/09/tragedy-and-faith-scott-janet-willis/)  His talk was a great reminder that everyone faces adversity and there’s no measure of “whose is worse.”  Granted, having six of your children all die at once is a pretty awful thing and I REALLY hope God doesn't ask me to praise Him through something like that.  (Hear that, God?   When I’m getting poked with the crap-stick later on in life I don’t want that one, mmmkay?)  You can’t compare suffering and pain; there’s no barometer for that.  But what we CAN do is understand that suffering does have a purpose, and that purpose is to mature us, to be perfected.

Hughes says there are three reasons for suffering and I love this because as a mom I struggle to explain to Carter why bad things happen when we have a good God.  She says:

1.       Suffering is God’s means of perfecting us.
2.       Suffering is a means of spreading the gospel.
3.       In persevering through suffering we see God

Now I know that God sees things that we can’t, He’s got the Big Picture and we don’t, and that all things work together (28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.   Romans 8:28.).  But I’ve still had a hard time really understanding, and therefore articulating to Carter, why everything can’t be awesome all the time (“everything is awesome…. everything is cool when you’re part of a team… you know it’s going through your head) and this helped me.  Hughes says that the words in Scripture used for “testing” likens what happens to us in trials to what happens to metal when it is refined.  It makes the metal purer.  “Christians must persevere through many trials and temptations if we would grow mature and be refined,” she says.

I like to know there’s a purpose behind hard times, it just makes my need for all things rational to be sated.  Jason Morriss from Austin New Church, in his message about Lent (http://www.austinnewchurch.com/#/anc-home/sermon-podcast) calls trials and suffering being in a “wilderness.”  And for some people that wilderness isn't just a hard time they go through and it gets better, for some people it’s like FORTY YEARS of wilderness.  There’s a lady at our church who came to Christ at 64; she’s 69 now and has been married to her husband for 40 years.  She’s a believer; he’s not.  She has to live with him every day, loving him, knowing him better than she’s ever known anyone else in her entire life, and knowing he’s missing out on the most awesome thing ever.  And there’s not ONE SINGLE THING she can do to convince him that he’s missing the boat except do what she’s doing:  love him, pray for him, and show him the love of Jesus every. single. day.  Every single minute.   She’s right smack dab in the middle of her wilderness and who knows when it will end; God’s timing is not our timing.  And she’s struggling to praise God in the wilderness, but she’s doing it because that’s what we’re called to do.

I have to say, for me (because this blog is about me me me and don’t you forget it), knowing where my loved one is going makes all the difference when they depart this life.  When my Grandma Broxson died, I wasn't yet a Christian.  Her death was the first I’d really experienced as a semi-adult (HA! not even semi, y’all; MAN I was clueless) at 22 and it was really confusing for me.   Mom and Dad said she was in Heaven but I didn't really get that at the time; I just knew that when I looked at her body, she wasn't there.  She was gone; that was a shell.  Fast track to when my Grandpa Bunaisky died when I was 27.  I’d become a Christian just the fall before and while I was a relative newbie as far as faith goes,  I was starting to understand that this world isn't IT.  And let me tell you folks, that’s a whole different experience when you previously thought it was.  Instead of this ginormous yawning chasm of nothingness that opens up after our lives, it’s a gap.  A gap between when you’re here on this earth with your loved one, and when your race is run and you’re together with them and Jesus.  You finish your race; they’ll be there at the finish line.  Now I’m not about to tell you what that gap is like, that finishing the race without your loved one.  Because I think what I've lost in this life can’t compare to what other people have lost and the depth, breadth, and height of their despair is different than mine.  I tend to think, that when the time comes that Mom and Dad have to go on without me, I will feel as though a great gaping hole has been rent in me and I will feel that emptiness for the rest of my race.  Frankly, I’m not looking forward to that and so I’m right now blocking thinking about it with every fiber of my being.  But my sister’s friend is right there RIGHT NOW, and because of that I want to hold her and hug her and my sister and fervently wish I could take even an iota of pain away for them both.  Just as I wish I could do that for my friends when they lost their fathers; my friend who has a sister with terminal cancer; my mother when she lost her brother and mother; my father when he lost his son. 

But I can’t, so I pray that God will bring them through this and comfort them every step of the way through this wilderness, however long that wilderness lasts.  For you too, if you’re in the middle of a wilderness.  That the “knowledge of Jesus’ power [would shift your] focus from the storms, raging around and within, to God’s will.  Luke 22:31-32:  31 “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”   I pray that when you’re in the sifter, and the path ahead is cloudy and it seems like God is silent, when circumstances are just. freakin’. unbearable, that God will turn your fear, your sadness, to faith.  Hughes says, “God’s purpose for sifting [is] to prove and perfect…faith.  That perfection is not to be completed in this earthly life.  But here and now, He gives everything we need to face whatever sifting He allows – He gives Himself.”


Anyhoo, I really found that chapter helpful this week and I wanted to share it with you; I hope maybe it helped you too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment